Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Swiss Cheese: Gruyère

Ok ok ok. I know that I have been procrastinating on this post for ages. Yes, I live in the Canton de Fribourg. Yes, I see the Gruyères Castle everyday on my morning jaunts through the forest. Why have I not blogged about Le Gruyères fromage? I have to admit, I am beginning to take it for granted.. BIG TIME. Having said that, let's get this done and over with shall we?
Gruyères Fromage is the only cheese in the world to win the best cheese in the world distinction 3 times. It was given the distinction of AOC or Appelation D'origine Controlee in 2001. History first recorded the cheese in 1655 but dates back as far as 1249. For my first Gruyère cheese purchase, I opted to go polar opposites with an Alpage and a Doux to really taste the difference between the two. I am a stinky cheese girl so yes, the Alpage is much better with a creamier more pungent flavor then the bland Doux version.
Here are some more bits and bobs about the cheese:
Origin: Canton de Fribourg,Neuchatel, Jury
Made from: Cow milk
Special Distinctions: AOC
Special Visual Characteristics: Hard cheese, shape of a millstone and brushed, grainy, uniformly brownish. Heel is slightly convex. Usually about 25-40kg
Aging Period: 5-12 months, 5 months is milk, 8 months for semi salty, 10 months for salthy and 12 months for prime quality.
Fat Content: 32%
Production: heated for 35-40 minutes until curdling at 55 C. pressed for 20 hours and immersed in a 20% salt bath. Kept in a climatized celler at 13-14 C. Turned and rubbed with salt water daily for the first 10 days then twice a week for 3 months and again once a week.
Taste profile: sale, mi sale, doux or alpage smooth, creamy, slightly damp to touch. Firm but not crumbly.
Served with: Fondue , used to make gourgères or croque monsieurs, on top of French onion soup, good melting cheese and good with figs and dates.

It is a great cheese but in my opinion, does not have the same pizzaz and creaminess that Tête de Moine posses. It is still a staple in my dorm fridge especiallz since fig season just commenced for those late night cheeky snacks...

No comments :